Saturday, December 30, 2006

Sting as a product placement! ?

One of my favorite TV shoes this Fall has been Studio 60, and while it seems clear that it will die soon (very sad) one thing it has provided me with is an insight to the where advertising and product placement is heading.

In a recent episode, the musical guest on this fictional Saturday-night-live-like show is non other then Sting. And in the midst of a scene that has nothing to do with sting, you hear one of the characters tell the other that “sting is here, and he has a new album out”.

The next thing you see is Sting on the stage practicing the Lute, and yet again, we are told more about this new album of his, “which is just coming out”. I thought that this was a whole new level of product placement (or an all new low), but thinking further about this it occurred to me that many WB shows (which seemed to originate this) featured “music from”, but rarely the artist. Then I caught the original Spiderman movie, and saw Massie Grey singing on stage as a part of the movie plot (another variation of this).

Still, I can’t help but wander, Sting (in the flash) as a product placement, what’s next, sting naked?

No comments: